Living gives you a better understanding of life. I would hope that my characters have become deeper and more rounded personalities. Wider travels have given me considerably greater insight into how cultural differences affect not only people, but politics and art. Although I am not an author like Alan Dean Foster, my life experience can relate to his insights about the transformation that one can feel by living in a foreign land and travelling to different countries. The opportunities and the experiences that we can gain by being with diversified people may enrich our knowledge, strengthen our emotions and gain greater understanding about the people and the world around us.
   
My life was filled with many challenges that nearly affected my studies. I belong to a broken family. At the age of seven, it was difficult to accept the separation of my parents. Their decision to part ways has emotionally affected me and led me to a point where I could not concentrate on any school work and activities. The conflict and confusions that I felt was overwhelming as close relationship with my father and my mother have been developed and seeing them live apart from one another was too much to bear. However, it was fortunate that I was able to come to terms with my feelings and I was able to complete my elementary and high school education in Taiwan. During the course of my studies and the family problems that I had endured, I questioned the purpose of my life and came to a conclusion that so many things happened for many reasons. It was at that time that I felt that the separation of my parents was greatly caused by their failure to keep their communication lines open. Since I have directly witnessed their conflict, I was inspired to be a marriage counsellor. However, to be a good counsellor, one needs to be able to communicate effectively and this is the skill that I am currently working on. Hence, due to my desire to improve my English communication skills and gain more knowledge and experience in the field of communication arts, I requested my parents to support my education in the United States.
   
After high school, my parents allowed me to study in the US and for the first time I saw them talk amicably and both were in agreement that studying outside Taiwan would give me a better future and a solid education. With the approval of my parents, I came to the US in 2007. Life in the US took a sudden turn for me as I learn to take my studies seriously and live independently. Initially, it was a struggle to be familiar with the environment and the American culture as I have a limited knowledge of the English language. However, with my determination to improve my communication skills, I constantly speak in English with my classmates and we appreciate our constant exchange of cultural knowledge. Due to the changes in my attitude, my GPA has improved and I felt that studying in the US was the best decision that I have made in my life for the last two years. This decision made me gain a lot of confidence and it has awakened me to be a responsible and well focused individual. Realizing that there are many children in the US who has gone through the pains of living with divorced parents provided me with a different perspective in life. Although I still wish that someday my parents can be together again, I learn to understand their situation and the struggles that they have been through in their marriage in ways that I have never understood before. Now, I have more reasons to complete my communication arts degree as our daily life revolves around receiving and giving information, entertaining and persuading people in various medium. Hence, interpreting messages and communicating effectively is an important skill to master prior to specializing in marriage counselling.
   
As the peculiarities of life can sometimes lead us in a direction that may be best for our future, I am glad that my challenges in life has paved the way towards my decision to study in the US to develop my English communication skills, the skills needed when I become a marriage counsellor. This decision have not only made me feel good about myself but it also filled me with confidence and pride that I became a conscientious, determined and self-directed person who is ready to face any challenges in life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment