Leadership

A leadership development plan is a tool that aids in developing and sharpening ones leadership skills. It is a tool that allows one to review their leadership strengths and weaknesses as well as develop a plan on how to translate from the current position to a better equipped person for leadership. Through this tool one is also able to identify the different leadership styles and theories and incorporate them so as to be come more effective. This paper is my leadership development plan to help me as I lead in the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation where i am a parole agent. It will help me as I supervise and provide training to parole agents. This will also help me in any other place where I may acquire a position of leadership and this includes even in the community.

Leadership theories to apply
I will mainly apply Transformational leadership theory (Bass). This theory defines how leaders affect their followers. It assumes that the importance of the task normally affects the motivation level of the followers. It also assumes that focusing on the organization or on the team usually produces a better result. A transformational leader usually gains respect from the followers or from his subjects. Thus in this theory a leader should increase among his followers the awareness of how important the task is and at the same time make his subjects understand that organizational goals are before their personal interests. The leader should also make the workers activate their higher order needs. Charisma is important in this theory but it is viewed as not necessary. This theory is based on four components that are idealized influence, inspirational sort of motivation, individualized consideration and intellectual stimulation. It also highly emphasizes on the need for the leader to be morally upright so as to lead by example and also the morality of the whole leadership style. This refers to the entire morality process that leaders follow so as to get into a conclusion. Morality in this theory also refers to the ethical values that are embedded in the leaders vision and how ethically he articulates the program and how they collectively pursue the program in the organization. According to burns it gives the spiritual values gives people an uplifting.

I will also employ the visionary theory of leadership. A visionary leader has a deep sense of purpose. He makes things happen. He also has sensitivity to what people are feeling. He also makes great sacrifices to ensure that goals are achieved. They connect well with the people they lead. The future is also clearly defined to this type of leader. He also leads others by example and involves people in the decision making process and employs the caring and the coaching style of leadership. A visionary leader also has a strong social presence as they influence the people around them.

My Leadership strengths
My strengths in leadership include the fact that I have an ability to live and coordinate well with people. I am also able to create an ability to influence people to work as a unit and this helps me to influence people easily towards achievement of goals. I have high levels of integrity as that I believe forms character believe in loyalty to every commitment I make and especially towards my job and towards the organization that employs me.I have a very high level of inspiration am very motivated towards achieving the goals set before me. I also respond well to positive feedback .this is a vital element in the work place also provide feedback to people. I respond well to constructive feedback. This serves as an opportunity for me to explore the areas that need to be improved. I share my knowledge and experience with other people. This in turn influences them to work well and to follow and emulate. I provide feedback by considering who is giving the information and how they are likely to receive it.

My leadership weaknesses
My main weakness is that am not proactive which means mainly I wait for things to happen so as to react and this is normally not a very good leadership quality. I also can abandon a project in the very last minute. This poses problems especially when a situation depends on me and when people count so badly on the results that I produce. This sometimes causes me to fail my own expectations as well as the expectations of those around me. My other weakness is that I do not reward my followers. Motivational theories and models suggest that an employee is motivated through being rewarded and this normally discourages some of my followers.

Gaps between the leader now and the leader to be
My being proactive and learning leadership skills are a gap that requires to be closed. It also includes learning the integrated model of the leadership theory. This also includes deciding which leadership model meets all the needs of my department.

Items to implement so as to close gaps
I will undertake a study guide about how to become proactive. This would call for a need to be stimulated and to sense more highly what needs to be done so as to curb the eventuality of things happening as a surprise as this is at times expensive. This will take a period of about six months to incorporate a proactive behavior to my character. I will also learn more about the leadership approaches. This will entail learning on all the leadership styles and putting into practice what I learn. This will also take approximately a six month period. It will also include learning all the details about the people who follow me within the department. This will take more association with them. This is a measure to help me in implementing and incorporating all the concepts will dedicate a period of one to two months to know my followers. However the implementation of the leadership styles to suit each individual may take a sizeable period of time as part of it will be learning what style works well with whom.

I will complete my doctoral programmer. This will make me more knowledgeable and thus I will be more competent and my decisions will be more informed. This will take a period of approximately 2 to 3 years. I will also consult experts in the field so as to ensure that I follow the right direction in this career development and to ensure I lead people towards the right direction. This will also provide feedback on how to go about my role as a leader. It will also take an approximate period of 2 to 3 years. Finally I will Get feedback from employees and supervisors about what they think about a good leader. I am will incorporate these ideas so as to make leadership more effective within the organization. I will also use this to improve that which does not auger well with the employees within the organization. This will cost

How to use the plan to impact the leadership and the followers in the organization
I will use my strong points like the fact that I am a natural leader and that am a person of integrity to influence others to follow me. This I will do by leading by example and by being reliable to all those expecting my services to ensure dependence. I will also ensure a close relationship with my family and friends. I will ensure that I get their support so as to make the accomplishment of my goals easier. I will also ensure loyalty towards my job and loyalty towards my organization as well as towards my bosses. I will also ensure am totally committed to life long learning and to service.

6. How to modify and asses the plan so it is on track.
I will incorporate the concept of ScholarPractitioner model into constructive feedback. I will also deeply incorporate the suggestions given in the visionary model of personal purpose. Use my influence on people to affect peoples behavior. I will also incorporate the concepts of the transformational leadership and make the workers understand their higher order needs. I will also do this by employing such steps as motivating the workers by doing the following I will help associates to be enthusiastic towards their jobs.

Conclusion
 An effective leader delivers to the followers the expected standards. A leadership development plan is an important tool to use in the development of ones leadership skills. it acts as a highlight to the acts that need to be undertaken so as tom help one be more effective in their leadership roles. this leadership development plan shall act as my ,aiding guide towards achieving my career objectives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment