Benefits of the Interpersonal Communication Activity

8A.
In the first part of the course, we discussed the different fundamental communication concepts and axioms of interpersonal communication that define the difficulties and success we experience in our communication exchange. The textbook explains these different concepts and axioms. According to the textbook, listening is one of the communication behaviors that are an appropriate change in the communication process since it is one of the vital skills needed to carry out the whole process. This skill clears the path of the messages for better understanding of the messages being sent by one of the participants of the communication process.

8B.
My improved listening skill pleased me as it enabled me to understand and relate well with my families, friends, and other people. Honing my listening skill also improved my communication process and strengthened my relationship with other people. It also enabled me to avoid unnecessary conflicts with others and resolve them effectively. This is consistent in the lessons discussed in class where it was mentioned that the ability to listen is an essential tool in resolving disputes and conflict that may arise in miscommunication and misunderstanding. Hence, the improvement is a positive change in my communication discourse as it allowed me to participate well in the communication process as well as to further assess and understand the ideas and messages being exchanged.

8C.
I am quite dissatisfied with my attitude in listening in the sense that I only listen to things that interest me while I ignore the topics that bore me. The topics that I am not quite interested in failed my ability to connect with the other person and my whole interpersonal communication. This attitude is less than ideal for it it is a fact that we will be exposed to  different topics and subjects in various settings. Eventually, I will encounter a situation wherein I will have to completely focus my attention and listen about topics that I am not highly interested in.

In the sixth course objective, we learned that in a communication situation wherein the information exchanged is detailed  and substantial such as lecture and instructions, effective listening strategies are needed to get the most out of the information being presented. This objective applies to one of my situations presented in the Part 7 activity. Even though the lesson presented in the lecture is on one of my least favorite subjects, I still had to listen as I needed to learn about the lesson.

8D.
There are still some changes and improvements that I would like to make in my communication skills. For one, I would like to work on my ability and understanding of non-verbal communication. The fifth objective of the course is to understand the importance of non-verbal communication in the whole communication process. The textbook explains that when oral communication is misinterpreted, non-verbal communication plays a vital role in improving clarity through non-verbal means.

Non-verbal communication can be beneficial to my whole communication as I need to understand more of the non-verbal cues in order to relate better with my friends and peers. Non-verbal cues are more truthful than spoken words.

8E.
The project has been beneficial for me and for my interpersonal communication and relationships. My behavior has been a tool in improving and further strengthening my relationship with other people. Improving my listening skills benefited me as I was able to further understand other people. Listening more and talking less is one of the significant changes in my communication process. My improved listening skill allows me to listen and understand the messages and ideas being exchanged.

0 comments:

Post a Comment